The end of one year and the start of the next is always cause for a little looking back, second guessing, and also speculation about the future. As always, I have a few regrets. Working alone out of your home can make for some very one-sided conversations. And there was that time when I wore pajamas for ten straight days. But these temporary insanities of the past year are totally outnumbered by the excitement for what could be in my future. And being the travel-obsessed creature that I am, I gauge the future by where I’ll go and what I’ll find for the Loaded Trunk.
After much internal list making and argument, here are some, if not all, of my goals for 2015. Ten places to go and ten things to do aren’t unreasonable, are they?
1. Go see the sand cranes in Kearney, Nebraska. This is the 45th year for the Audubon's Nebraska Crane Festival and it runs March 19-22. How do they know what day all the cranes will arrive? I suspect tracking drones.
2. Mexico: the states of Oaxaca and Chiapas for artisan made textiles, rugs, and pottery. Also great mezcal.
3. Burma, Bangkok and Bali. I’ve been to Bali and to Bangkok many times. Now that the political situation is better, I can go to Burma. I may try to be in the neighborhood for Songkran, the traditional New Year’s celebration in Thailand in April.
4. New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, April 24-May 3. My friends tell me to go to the soft-shelled crab po’ boy stand next to the Gospel Tent. Heavenly.
5. Brimfield Antique Show. The largest outdoor market in the Northeast, Brimfield happens May 12-17, July 14-19 and September 8-13. I think I’ll go in September.
6. Telluride Film Festival, Labor Day Weekend, September 4-7 in Colorado.
7. Return to Guatemala for more Loaded Trunk inventory and Spanish lessons.
8. The World’s Longest Yard Sale. It runs from Alabama to Michigan on the Highway 127 corridor. 690 miles of junk and treasures. I’m good for at least 350 of those miles. First Thursday thru Sunday in August.
9. The Flint Hills Rodeo, June 4-6 in Strong City, Kansas. In its 78th year, this is the oldest consecutive rodeo in Kansas. Real Kansas Cowboys!
10. The Venice Biennale. The International Arts Exhibition runs May 9-November 22. I want to go in May or October, before or after the summer tourist crush.